Apple has agreed to replace smoking first-generation iPod Nano units after admitting today that some nanos were overheating due to battery problems. What also helped to push things along was word that Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry was investigating similar reports of nanos overheating there. In all, reports tell of 14 such incidents occurring in the country.
You should know, this iPod battery issue is not new. Remember Danny Williams from Georgia who reported his first-gen iPod Nano spontaneously caught fire in his pocket back in October 2007? It turns out he wasn't so crazy after all, now was he?
Apple suggests that first-generation iPod nano owners experiencing battery overheating or sparking should contact AppleCare for a replacement unit.
Should anyone feel a hot, tingling sensation in the area surrounding your pocket, like Danny Williams did, don't panic. Check to ensure you're carrying your first-generation iPod Nano. If you're not, consult a medical professional immediately, you may be experiencing a different kind of problem.
[Danny Williams video after the jump]