If you're still hunting down a way to get free Emoji icons on your iPhone or iPod touch and you're too cheap to drop $.99, your search is finally over. A free app called "Spell Number" has embedded Emoji inside their number writing utility. The app was designed for people who need to spell out long numbers without using any brain mass. Adding the emoji icons to your device is really simple.
To enable Spell Number Emoji, follow these steps:
(1) Be Sure You're on iPhone firmware 3.0, 3.1 or 3.1.2
(2) Download Spell Number from App Store [link]
(3) Launch app and enter this newest code 91929394.59 and close the app
(4) Open Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards >Emoji > See √ Mark
(5) Select the Globe when entering text with any app to add Emoji
UPDATE: Unfortunately only version 1.03 currently unleashes emoji. The latest update version 1.04 has the emoji easter egg removed.
NOTE: These Emoji icons can only be viewed by other iPhone users.
Much love to Antonio for the Tip.