It seemed like Apple news hit a fever pitch in 2012 with every single news agency running stories on the iPhone and iPad no matter how small the details might have been.
The once fabled iPhone 5 was finally unveiled and then quickly followed by the surprise launch of the iPad mini — meanwhile Apple pummeled Samsung in court and wrestled with the failings of Apple Maps almost daily in the press.
Here are the Top 12 iPhone Savior Posts from 2012 that grabbed your eyeballs:
- Norman Seeff Releases 1984 Steve Jobs Image As Collectible Lithograph: Photographer released a limited number of signed lithographs featuring Steve Jobs at his Woodside Mansion in 1984. My exclusive interview with Norman was quickly picked up by CNN Fortune. (February 19)
- Apple Water: A Whole New Way To Drink Different: The idea of Apple launching a premium bottled water caused a frenzy of interest — we all wished this slick little spoof was for real. (January 8)
- iPhone-Friendly Smartwatch Tops $2 Million In Kickstarter Funding In 48 Hours: The Pebble e-paper smartwatch hauled in over $10 million dollars by 70,000 Kickstarter backers — the product is yet to be shipped after several months of major delays. It's rumored Apple is working on one. (April 14)
- Marshall iPhone Amp Rocks You Like a Hurricane: This portable home audio speaker cabinet let iPhone users crank their music with "Marshall’s legacy of loud" all night long. (September 3)
- Taller iPhone 5 Is Even Better For Longer Calls: A clever video spoof that made a compelling case for “the tallest iPhone ever” coming out a few days after Apple finally launched their taller and thinner iPhone 5. (September 20)
- Apple Stores Now Accepting U.S. Food Stamps?: Here's a bit of satire that had many seriously questioning the sanity of our U.S. Welfare system — even though it was a fantastical farce. (March 22)
- Madame Tussauds Unveils Steve Jobs In Wax: The idea of a life-size Steve Jobs in wax caused quite a stir when we unveiled the first images featuring an eerie likeness of Apple's co-founder. (September 20)
- One-Third of Americans Choose iPhone Over Sex: Even though this one sounded like a spoof, the bad news was that the report was the real deal. (August 31)
- The OS X Mountain Lion Images Apple Rejected: Although it's not easy to understand how Apple selects their feline OSX icons — it's much easier to imagine the ones they might reject. (February 17)
- Leica Rangefinder Gets Reborn As iPhone Case: Gizmon created a functional iPhone case that resembled a classic Leica Rangefinder camera. It draw massive attention for its detailed design. (March 18)
- Watch Apple's Banned Siri Ad For Scotland: Comedian Gavin McInnes showed us why Apple's Siri ad in Scotland was banned in his original video spoof. (February 3)
- Liquipel Waterproofs Your iPhone Without A Case: When Liquipel showed an iPhone 4 completely submerged under water — rumors started raging that iPhone 5 would be Apple's first waterproof device. That never did happen. (January 10)
Thanks to all 17 of my loyal readers for making 2012 such a fun ride. Cheers!
Steve Jobs photo credit: Norman Seeff