I decided to put my "Crazy Pumpkin" app to the test by carving my iPhone into a real pumpkin. Now that's crazy! The total cost of my DIY Halloween project was under $15.
Here's what you'll need to make iPhone Jack-O-Lantern:
- Medium sized pumpkin (one flat side works best)
- iPhone or iPod Touch with Crazy Pumpkin App
- Pumpkin carving tools (avoid kitchen knives)
- Spider Web and Spider (optional)
- Scotch-Blue painter's tape
- Household Baggie
- Candy Corn
1. Cut out a nice size lid in your pumpkin, clean out the seeds and guts. Lay your iPhone against the pumpkin at your desired spot. Use your pumpkin knife to trace around your iPhone with a light scarring cut or use a marker. Be careful not to hack iPhone.
2. Carefully carve out your iPhone shaped opening. Place your iPhone in a baggie and then fit it into the opening. You may need to lightly trim the opening several times to make a tight fit. The baggie is slippery, but once your iPhone is covered in painter's tape it will stay in place.
3. Now that your opening is cut, trim your iPhone in painter's tape neatly wrapping right up to the chrome edge. Tape off the entire back of your phone. I cut holes and used candy corn as spikes but later realized that the candy corn drops out as it gets moist from the pumpkin. So you may want to try something else for spikes.
4. Now insert your iPhone into the opening until it fits snugly. Start your crazy pumpkin app. Add spider webs, a spider and surround it with small tea light candles for drama. At this point be as crazy with your creative design. iPhone Jack-O-Lantern is intended for indoor display only.
Once we hit November 1st you'll be shipping "Crazy Pumpkin" off to the app graveyard quicker than Apple ditched the "I Am Rich" app. So enjoy it before it reaches its expiration date.